Pumpkin kofte in red gravy
A light and delicious tomato based flavourful curry with koftas made from pumpkin /kaddu
- 1. Ingredients for the koftas:grated pumpkin 1 1/2 cups
- 2. besan/gram flour 1 cups
- 3. garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
- 4. red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- 5. coriander powder 1 tsp
- 6. green chili - finely chopped 1 nos
- 7. oil 1 tsp
- 8. salt as required 1 tsp
- 9. oil for deep frying the koftas 1 cups
- 10. for the gravy-large tomatoes - roughly chopped 3 nos
- 11. onion - roughly chopped 1 nos
- 12. green chilli- chopped 1 nos
- 13. green cardamom /elaichi 1 nos
- 14. ginger - chopped 1 inch
- 15. kasuri methi 1/2 tsp
- 16. cumin seeds 1 tsp
- 17. red chili powder or as per taste 1/2 tsp
- 18. turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- 19. coriander powder 1 tsp
- 20. sabji masala 1 tsp
- 21. garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
- 22. cream 1 tbsp
- 23. water (approximately) 2 cups
- 24. oil 2 cups
1. Rinse and peel the pumkin and grate it.
2. squeeze and collect the juice in a bowl. keep the juice aside.
3. mix all the ingredients for making the koftas with the grated pumpkin.
4. make small round shaped balls and deep fry in oil till golden brown.drain on absorbent paper.
5. For the gravy :Blend all the ingredients mentioned above into a smooth paste with little water.
6. Now heat a deep pan and add 2 tsp oil. heat the oil, add the cumin seeds then add the masala paste.
7. Sauté for 8-10 mins on a medium flame and then add all the spice powders, sabji masala and kasuri methi.
8. stir and continue to fry the masala paste till it starts leaving oil from the sides.
9. Add cream and cook for 2 minutes on medium flame.
10. Add the collected juice and about 1 cup water to the cooked masala. Bring to a boil.
11. Finally add the fried koftas and garam masala. Switch off the flame and let them sit in gravy covered with a lid for about 10 minutes.
12. Can add water according to the requirement.
13. garnish with coriander leaves and serve delicious koftas hot with rotis, paranthas, naan or rice.