- 1. 250gms thick flattened rice / jada poha/ thick aval
- 2. 50gms groundnut
- 3. 50gms fried gram/ chutney dhall/ pottukadalai
- 4. 20-25 curryleaves
- 5. 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 6. 1 tsp haldi powder
- 7. 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 8. 1 tsp salt (adjust as needed)
- 9. 1/2 tsp asafoetida/ hing / perungayam
- 10. 10-12 cashews (optional)
- 11. 250 ml oil to deep fry
1. heat the oil in a deep frying pan /kadai. the oil has to get really hot. otherwise the poha won’t become fluffy on frying.
2. drop one poha and see if it puffs up immediately, then the oil is in perfect. fry the poha in small batches and drain them on an absorbent paper .if you have a stainless steel colander that can fit into the oil, you can fry the poha in it .(eg: how they fry the French fries in MCD)
3. after frying all the poha , transfer it into a big mixing bowl and add salt, red chilli powder,haldi,hing and sugar . keep aside
4. fry the groundnuts until crisp and add it to the fried poha
5. next fry the fried gram/ chutney dhall and add it to the poha
6. lastly fry the curry leaves until crisp and add that also to the fried poha.
7. if using cashews , fry that as well and add to poha
8. Now, slowly and carefully mix all these ingredients in the mixing bowl without breaking the poha. if the bowl is pretty wide you can toss the bowl with your hands so that the poha doesn’t break .
9. adjust spices and salt if needed and store it in an airtight container . Always use a dry spoon for serving.