PASTA KHEER (Pasta Payasam)
Last weekend we had some unexpected visitors and our pantry didn't have the ingredients to prepare a traditional Indian dessert. Now that it is school holidays, there was a couple of pasta packs lying around unused. So I thought of trying out this fusion dessert I had read about in the net a while ago. The result was a success and a huge hit with our guests. So here is the recipe.
- 1. Pasta 1/2 cup (I used elbow pasta)
- 2. Sugar - 1/4 cup
- 3. Full cream milk 2 - 2.5 cups
- 4. Condensed milk - 1/4 cup
- 5. Cardamom powdered - 1 tsp
- 6. Saffron strands - 1/2 sp
- 7. Cashews 3-4 tbsp
- 8. Ghee 1 tsp
- 9. Almonds/pistachios/Cashews - 1 spoon for garnishing
1. Boil water in a pan and cook pasta. Once cooked, drain and keep aside.
2. Grind 2 tbsp of cashew nuts in little milk to a fine paste. Soak the saffron threads in little warm milk.
3. In a pan, boil milk and add sugar to it. Simmer this till the milk thickens. Now add the cooked pasta and leave it to simmer.
4. After sometime, add the ground cashew paste and condensed milk. Mix well and switch off the flame.
5. Now add the saffron threads and cardamom powder, stir in. Roast the nuts in ghee and garnish.
6. Serve chilled