Mutton Tahari (Hyderabadi Pulao)
- 1. Mutton 1 kg
- 2. Good quality rice 3/4th kg
- 3. Potatoes 3
- 4. Tomatoes chopped 4-5
- 5. Onions sliced large 3
- 6. Yoghurt 1/2 kg
- 7. Garam masala 1 tsp
- 8. Red chilli powder 2 tbsp
- 9. Turmeric 1 tsp
- 10. Ginger Garlic paste 2 tbsp
- 11. Green chillies slit 4-5
- 12. Whole Garam masala or spices ; Cardamom 5
- 13. Cinnamon stick 3
- 14. Caraway seeds 1 tsp
- 15. Cloves 5-6
- 16. Coriander leaves finely chopped 1/4th cup
- 17. Oil 1/2 cup
1. First of all wash and clean the mutton bone-in.
2. Add salt to taste and ginger garlic paste to it.
3. Pressure cook it for 6 to 8 whistles depending upon the meat.
4. Keep it aside for the pressure to settle down.
5. Soak rice for 30 minutes.
6. In a big cooking pot, heat oil and add all the whole masalas.
7. Now add the onions and saute until translucent.
8. Next add, the chopped tomatoes and the spices one by one.
9. Cover and cook until the tomatoes are mushy and tender.
10. Also add the beaten yoghurt.
11. Peel potatoes and deep fry until half done. Do not over fry them.
12. Drain and keep aside.
13. After the tomatoes are done, add the pressure cooked mutton.
14. Also add the fried potato cubes.
15. Finally add the soaked rice and adjust salt proportion.
16. Add hot water according to the rice taken.
17. Mix well and cook on high flame until it starts bubbling.
18. Do not stir vigorously.
19. Cover and simmer on low flame for the next 20 to 25 minutes.
20. In between, keep checking and add some hot water if required. Keep mixing lightly to cook evenly.
21. Do not add more water. Otherwise it becomes mushy.
22. Serve this complete meal on it's own or alongside raita and salad.
23. This one basically is a pulao from the City of Nawabs- Hyderabad. One pot meal with meat and potatoes makes it a favourite of many Hydis. Try this gorgeous tahaari with your family and friends.