Multigrain Adai or Dosa/Protein Rich Pancakes
Multigrain Adai or Dosa/ Protein Rich Pancakes is a South Indian delicacy. The proportions of the ingredients may vary from one household to another but this protein Rich pancake is truly tasty and healthy. You have to soak the lentils and rice 2 to 3 beforehand or overnight. Then you have to grind it in a blender with other spices to a coarse paste then you can apply the batter on a tawa with a ladle and you get crispy multigrain Adai dosas. You can have it with jaggery, tomato chutney, tomato-onion chutney, coconut chutney or unsalted white butter or avial.
- 1. 1/2 cup Idli rice or raw rice
- 2. 1/4 cup Bengal gram dal (split and dehusked)
- 3. 1/4 cup urid dal or black gram dal (split and dehusked)
- 4. 1/4 cup tuvar dal
- 5. 1/4 cup moong dal (split and dehusked)
- 6. 1/4 cup kabuli chana
- 7. 1/4 cup rajma
- 8. 4 to 5 dry red chillies
- 9. 1 teaspoon of Hing
- 10. 1/2 inch of ginger sliced
- 11. 2 to 3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 12. 1 to 2 teaspoon of crystal salt
- 13. For seasoning 1 teaspoon of rye or mustard seeds
- 14. 1 teaspoon of jeera seeds
- 15. 1 onion diced
- 16. 1/2 cup grated coconut or coconut sliced into small pieces (optional)
- 17. 1/2 handful of coriander leaves
- 18. 2 green chillies slit
1. First soak the lentils and rice for 2 to 4 hours or overnight in 1.5 to 2 cups of water.
2. Then remove the excess water and grind into a coarse paste. Add ginger, red chillies, Hing, crystal salt, curry leaves and grind it
3. Now place a kadai and add refined oil and add mustard seeds, once it splutters add jeera seeds, green chillies, coriander leaves, diced onion and grated coconut. Saute for 2 minutes. Then add this seasoning to the batter.
4. Now put a tawa on the stove and grease it with oil. Now take a ladle ful of the multigrain Adai batter and apply it on the tawa and spread evenly. Make a small depression or dent in the center and add oil. Allow it to get cooked. You get nice crispy multigrain Adai.
5. You can have this protein Rich pancake with jaggery, avial, tomato chutney, tomato-onion chutney, Coconut chutney or unsalted white butter.
6. You can also add grated vegetables of your choice to the batter.