HAKURU CAKE (SRI LANKAN JAGGERY CAKE)
- 1. Wheat flour 1 cups
- 2. Grated Jaggery 1 cups
- 3. Semolina(roasted / raw) 1/4 cups
- 4. Baking powder 1 tsp
- 5. Baking Soda 1/4 tsp
- 6. Oil 5 tbsp
- 7. Fresh Grated Coconut 1/2 cups
- 8. Green Cardamom 4 nos
- 9. Mace(Javitri) 1/2 piece
- 10. Milk,more if requiered 1/2 cups
- 11. Warm Water 2 tbsp
- 12. Almonds or Cashews,chopped for garnishing 8-10 nos
1. Preheat oven at 160℃ for 10-12 minutes
2. Grease a oven proof dish with oil/butter and keep aside.
3. Roast the coconut until its golden. Take care not to burn it. Keep aside to cool.
4. In a mixie jar, take jaggery, oil and water and blend for one minute.
5. To this add the cooled roasted coconut, green cardamom seeds and mace. Run for another 1 minute.
6. Sift together wheat flour, semolina, baking powder and baking soda .
7. Transfer the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
8. Now add one part of sifted flour and 1/4 cup milk to the wet ingredients. Mix to make a lump free batter.
9. Similarly add the remaining flour in 2 parts. Add milk 2 tablespoon at a time or as required.
10. Pour this batter in the greased pan. Tap the pan twice to remove excess air bubbles. Garnish with chopped dryfruits
11. Now bake this at 180℃ for 35-40 minutes. After 35 minutes , remove and check with a toothpick. If it comes out clean means its done.
12. Else bake for another 5 minutes more.