I decided to start my first post with a dessert remembering the words of my grandmom… “Kisi bhi naye/shubh kaary ki shuruwat meethe se karni chahiye” to kuch meetha ho jaye ! Here is the simple recipe of Gulabjamun.……..
- 1. 4 1/2 tablespoon or 60 gm soft cottage cheese (chenna)
- 2. 2 1/2 cups or 500 gm grated khoya (mawa)
- 3. 4 tablespoon refined flour (maida)
- 4. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5. 2 1/2 cups water
- 6. 5 cups sugar
- 7. 5 teaspoon blanched, chopped pistachios (pista)
- 8. 1/4 teaspoon saffron (kesar) soaked in 1 tablespoon milk
- 9. 8-10 saffron strands (for sugar syrup)
- 10. 1/2 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 11. 500ml ghee / oil
1. Sugar syrup-In a deep pan, take sugar, saffron strands and water. Bring it to boil, stirring it continuously and remove scum from time to time.
2. Now cook on low heat till thread-like consistency is obtained.
3. Sugar syrup is ready. (boil it once again before adding jamuns to it.
4. For filling-Make a thick paste of pistachios, saffron and green cardamom powder and divide into 20 portions.
5. How to make jamuns-Sieve in the refined flour and baking soda, keep aside.
6. Rub the whole milk fudge (khoya) and cottage cheese (chenna) together to a fine, creamy texture.
7. Mix all the ingredients in step 1 and 2 and knead to a soft dough. Divide into 20 balls and cover it with a moist cloth.
8. Fill a portion into each of the cottage cheese balls.
9. Heat ghee/ oil (I prefer ghee) in a pan; fry these balls over a low flame till golden. After 3-4 minutes they will turn light golden brown.
10. Deep fry them until they turn golden brown. Cooking them evenly is the key to soft gulabjamuns, increase or decrease in flame to keep the temperature of the ghee even while frying.
11. Transfer them on kitchen napkins and let them cool for 5 minutes.
12. Add the balls to warm sugar syrup (not hot syrup).Transferring them to hot sugar syrup will shrink the size of jamun.
13. Leave in the sugar syrup for atleast 1 – 2 hours.
14. Serve it hot garnished with almonds or pistachio…tastes really good when served with vanilla ice cream.