Beetroot Rose Mathri
- 1. 1 cup maida (plain flour)
- 2. 2 tbsp. rice flour
- 3. 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 4. 2 tbsp. beetroot puree
- 5. 2 tbsp. melted ghee
- 6. 1/2 tsp. nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 7. 1/8th tsp. baking soda or a pinch
- 8. 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 9. 2 cups oil
1. Mix together all the above mentioned ingredients (except oil) and knead a dough with some water if necessary.
2. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes. Divide into 2-3 equal portions. Roll out each portion as thin as possible. Cut with a cookie cutter or with any lid into round shaped discs.
3. Then place 5-6 circles overlapping onto each other. Then roll from the first circle to the last into a cylinder shape.
4. Now cut into half with a sharp knife. You get 2 roses out of it. Open the petals with your finger and keep them aside.
5. Roll out the remaining dough and make rose mathris. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry them on a low to medium flame in batches, till light golden in colour.
6. Drain on a kitchen towel and serve with any homemade chutney / tomato sauce as appetizers.